Oldways LIGURIA & MENTON CULINARIA
with Chef Barbara Lynch &
European Art Curator Ronni Baer
March 23-30, 2017
Liguria – the Italian Riviera + Menton, France
Rapallo • Portoﬁno • Ne • Cinque Terre • Vernazza • Portovenere • Chiavari
Recco • Genoa • San Remo • Badalucco • Oneglia • Cervo • Menton
Join Oldways, James Beard award-winning Chef Barbara Lynch, and Ronni Baer, Senior Curator of European Paintings in Liguria, the Italian Riviera. A crescent along the Mediterranean Sea, Liguria is a region dominated by both water and the land. It is the home of pesto, the birthplace of Christopher Columbus, and is known for its aromatic herbs and terraced mountainsides. Food writer Fred Plotkin maintains it is “as close to paradise as one can ﬁnd on this earth.”
We’ll be based at both ends of Liguria—in Rapallo and San Remo—and will venture into the mountain valleys and alongside the sea to eat, to experience and to learn about the places and the ingredients that make Liguria such a special destination. We’ll also slip into France to spend a day in Menton – the namesake of one of Barbara Lynch’s restaurants.
Exploration of Liguria and Menton will include:
- A cooking class in Menton with Barbara Lynch
- A tour of a world-class museum in Genoa with Ronni Baer
- Visits to producers of wine and olive oil
- Guided visits to food markets
- Wine tastings
- A boat trip to the Cinque Terre and Portovenere
- A cooking demonstration in a mountain restaurant
- Guided tours of Portoﬁno, Genoa and San Remo
- Opportunity to buy your own corzetti pasta stamp
- Wonderful meals featuring the traditional foods and ingredients of Liguria – in seaside trattorias, in hillside restaurants, and in cities, both small and large.
- Final day options – cooking class, day trip to Monaco or art-focused tour.
- And much, much more!
We’ll meet in Rapallo on Thursday, March 23. The price of the tour includes most meals, hotel accommodations for 7 nights (Excelsior Palace Hotel in Rapallo and Royal Hotel in San Remo), and tour activities. Participants make their own arrangements for airfare (ﬂy into Genoa and out of Nice or Genoa) and transportation to/from the airport.
We hope you’ll join us for this unforgettable culinary and cultural journey.